Sushi is a tasty food which is also good for health. It benefits your heart, hormones and balance your appetite. It is also helpful in improving the blood flow in your body.
What is a Sushi
Sushi is a japanese dish and is served with vinegared rice. Many dishes like fish and few pickled and non-pickled vegetables are covered with sushi rice and wrapped with seaweed (nori). It is seen as very tasty and is very popular in japan and other countries.
Various types of Sushi
- Nigiri: It has slices of fresh raw fish placed over pressed rice, also seasoned with wasabi and soy sauce.
- Maki:- This kind of sushi is made of fish and vegetables , wrapped in rice with roasted nori.
- Temaki :- This sushi is very similar to maki but is made in cone shape for better look and holding.
- Uramaki :- This roll is made with nori covered and wrapped with sushi rice Outer coating is made with toasted sesame seeds and some other ingredients to add flavor to the dish.
- Sashimi :- Here raw rice is served without rice and with julienned daikon radish.
Ingredients in Sushi
- Sushi meshi (sushi rice)
- Rice vinegar
- Nori Seaweed
Nutritions of Sushi
Sushi is a dish with many ingredients. This is why it becomes very healthy. Sushi rice is rich in carbohydrates and very less fat. Seaweed wrapper provides good iodine, omega-3 fatty acids and selenium in huge amounts. Many kinds of fish are added in it that contains minerals and vitamins. There are few kinds of fruits and vegetables which are added in sushi.
There are other ingredients like ginger and wasabi added in it which are rich in antioxidants, minerals and vitamins. Soy sauce is good in sodium and provides good taste to the cuisine. Some sauce like mayonnaise helps add calories and makes it a healthy dish for all.
Health Benefits of Sushi
Sushi is not just a delicious food but there are many other benefits of eating sushi. These are some of the known benefits of Sushi.
- Keeps your heart healthy
- Balances the hormone secretion in your body.
- Increases Red Blood cells
Now let us tell you all the benefits of eating Sushi.
Protects Heart Health
Sushi is rich in omega-3 fatty acids which is good for heart health because of fish content. It also balances the good and bad cholesterol. Good cholesterol i.e. HDL creates balance and reduces LDL cholesterol in the body. The HDL prevents arteries to clog and reduces the risk of various heart problems like heart attacks, strokes, and atherosclerosis. The best fishes added are lake trout, tuna, and salmon.
Seaweed wrap is called nori in japanese and provides benefits in you. It is rich in iodine and is very essential in our body. Iodine helps in regulating the endocrine system i.e Thyroid gland. A proper iodine helps in creating a hormonal balance and reduces the risk of chronic hormone disorders.
The protein inside fish helps our body in many ways and is less in fat and calories. It helps in adding energy, creating new cells and keeps us strong and healthy. It is also popular with pescatarians and the protein it adds in sushi.
Wasabi is a popular ingredient in sushi and is rich in compounds such a 6-methylsulfinylhexyl isothiocyanate. Wasabi is an anticancer agent due to its isothiocyanates that helps in killing the cancer cells in your body.
Wasabi is useful in creating many drugs that fight cancer. These medicines are very helpful, especially in colon and breast cancer. The benefits are not totally proved by all medical organizations.
Fish and soy sauce are used in sushi and provide iron abundance. It helps in creating more RBCs in the body. It also increases blood circulation, promotes hair growth and improves skin tone.
RBCs helps in improving metabolism and speeds the healing process of tissues and cells. Adding soy sauce isn’t just a matter of taste but it also improves your health in many ways.
How to serve and Savor a Sushi
- Put wasabi on the top of sashimi and dip it into fish with soy sauce for better taste.
- Now serve it with a texture platter and make it appealing with chopsticks.
- To enhance the flavor, add gari as flavor in sushi.
- Always eat it fresh and do not keep it in the refrigerator.
- Eat this on the same day for better taste.
You can add your own custom filling, if you want to. You can add vegetables or any other fruit so that you can add your own tasty treat. Taste can be anything if you are willing to make some new flavor.
Health Risks of eating Sushi
As there are so many health benefits of eating sushi, but you must know that sushi can be harmful in some cases.
- Calories: Sushi is rich in too many calories. It has mayonnaise sauce and gets you more calories while you are just enjoying its taste. Even extra soy sauce can add more sodium in your diet.
- Infection: If the fish used in sushi is not cleaned properly which can create an infection in the body due to infection-causing bacteria and parasites.
- Mercury Toxicity: Large water bodies like sea and oceans can be exposed to high mercury. So the creatures in those oceans can be harmful to pregnant women and those who are breastfeeding their babies. This mercury can be harmful to babies and fetuses. It is recommended to select a fish from a safe place.
Sushi is a very popular food and is very healthy too. So you must check the source of ingredients in your sushi. So here we are advicing to get all the best quality ingredient to make it and serve it to others.