Prevent Face touching during the corona outbreak. Check some tips on how to prevent infection spread and research made on it.
Safest Ideas to prevent you from touching face with your hands
Touching your face is a risk when such a pandemic is occured in the world. But how much we prevent ourselves from doing it, habits makes us do the same.
Some Interesting points about the CoronaVirus
- Touching your face can risk your health in many ways now.
- Eyes & mouth can be the easiest way for viruses to enter in the body.
- A study has found that a person touches his face more than 10 times per hour.
- The simplest way to avoid touching the face is by wearing gloves.
Touching our face is one of the most common types of us. But in the times of pandemic, it is recommended to avoid such things.
- Wear gloves on your hands and keep avoiding things like doors, lift and other public things.
- Touch your face with your right hand (if you are righty) and use your left hand for touching public objects and vice versa for lefty people.
- If this habit is made in proper ways, we can break the cycle of corona and contribute to our society for better health.
- Due to any reason like tired eyes, wiping your mouth, we touch our face countless times.
Two Good ways to transmit an Infection
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has announced in its report about how a viral infection is spread through people.
- It spreads person to person by sneezing like other respiratory infections.
- When someone sneezes, the droplets produced by the sneeze are released in air.
- People who inhale the air around them are likely to be infected.
- After staying in the virus infected area, the people can get infected and can infect others by hand shaking or other ways of contact.
So if you are going in any areas, where you think that people are infected, use a mask on your face to avoid any infections. Because avoiding the virus on the air surface is almost impossible.
We touch our faces countless times
Scientists have proved by analysing human behaviour that most of us touch our face constantly.
In 2008, a group of researchers put 10 people on observation. These ten people were sitting in an office. After the research was done, it was seen that a person on an average touches his face very frequently. That is 16 times in an hour.
In 2015, 26 university students in a University in Australia were taken for research purposes. It was discovered that students touch their face more than office people. The portions that are being touched most frequently are mouth, nose and eyes. These three portions are the easiest for a virus transmission.
Medical professionals who are instructed to not touch faces and are aware about the conditions. Those people are also touching their faces for 18 times in two hours without checking proper hygiene.
“When actively working, people will often shake their foot, play with their hair, or in these instances, touch their faces. It certainly helps to know when you are most vulnerable to such activities and try to stay aware, during the meeting, or phone call, or while engrossed in work,” Dr. Alex Dimitriu, double board-certified in psychiatry and sleep medicine and founder of Psychiatry & Sleep Medicine, in Menlo Park, California, told Healthline.
Hand Wash is must
Hand washing is the simplest and quickest way to avoid any infections. It takes only 20 seconds to happen and helps you to maintain your hygiene.
This helps when we are habitual in touching our face frequently. Because we never know when we have carried a viral agent from an object.
The hand washing consists of five steps, according to the CDC.
Washing hands is too useful when we are touching a public lift or a door. In this way, the chances and cycle of infection can be controlled. Touching any object outside can be a mode of transmission.
“A new ring, jewelry, or even a rubber band around the wrist can serve as a reminder to increase awareness of the hands, and ideally to remember to not touch your face,” said Dimitriu. “Something needs to be different, however, to encourage ‘different’ and nonautomatic behavior.”
It’s a habit you can break
Experts have provided some instructions to break the habit of touching face. During the corona outbreak, there has been talk about preventive measures.
“Be mindful about your intention to keep your hands away from your face. Just a brief pause can help you be more aware of what you’re doing with your hands,” Zachary Sikora, PsyD, a clinical psychologist said.
He also suggested putting handwritten notes on various places like offices and on walls to keep us reminded for not touching the face.
“Keep your hands busy. If you’re at home watching TV, try folding laundry, sort through mail, or hold something in your hands,” Sikora explained, adding that even a tissue will do, as long as it reminds you to keep your hands away from your face.
- Use a scented hand sanitizer or a liquid hand wash in your pocket. The scent of hand wash & sanitizer will help us to remember again and again when we subconsciously touch our face.
- For example, if you are in a meeting, you can remind each other by lacing your fingers together and putting in your lap.
- Wearing gloves is also a very simple way to avoid touching your face. Gloves is a very effective reminder for it.
“You can wear gloves when you’re out in public and most likely to be exposed by touching surfaces that have the virus,” said Sikora. “Then remove them when you get to your destination. It may be unusual, but wearing gloves at home can also help you break the habit of touching your face.”
Eyes, mouth and nose is the most vulnerable path for Corona Virus to enter in our body. The virus spread happens when the point of contact is done by us. How many objects we touch also increases the possibility of infection.
No matter, how many times we wash our hands, there is only one time the virus needs to enter us. Preventing touching our face is one of the most efficient ways to reduce the possibility of spread.
These simple day to day habits will help us in breaking the cycle. Using hand wash and hand sanitizer will also help in keeping our hands clean and keeping hands under the lap is also helpful in prevention.