What is Anorexia Nervosa
Anorexia Nervosa is a psychological eating disorder. People who are suffering from such disorders are actually suffering from low body weight and weakness according to their height and body type.
This is calculated by a term i.e. BMI (Body Mass Index) is used to check the appropriate body weight according to height. Many people are eating too much and less exercise indicates symptoms of anorexia. These people do not gain weight and have a distorted body shape. Usually they think they are good at body weight, but this is not true.
Women and men can be seen with anorexia. It is just an eating disorder which idolizes thin figures and abnormal eating patterns. Anorexia nervosa is close to Anorexia which means self starvation and lack of appetite.
Types of Anorexia Nervosa
Anorexia is basically of two types.
- Binge/Purge Type : People with such eating disorders often purge after eating. This creates a fear in them of gaining weight and some have guilt of ingested forbidden, or highly restricted food. The purge behaviour is with excess exercising, vomiting or abusing laxatives.
- Restrictive : This type is a kind of self-disciplined eating disorder. It makes people limit the quantity of food, calories and often high fat or high sugar foods. And they eat less calories than necessary to maintain a healthy weight. This is a form of self starvation.
These two types of eating disorders and very similar symptoms. Both create an irrational fear of weight gain and abnormal eating patterns.
Causes of Anorexia
The main cause of Anorexia is genetics. Sometimes the environment also keeps the body in not pulling hunger triggers. So eating disorders are based on genetic predisposition, personality traits, and environmental factors.
Environmental factors can be a very common reason for eating disorders.
- Thinness culture has influenced people to lose weight, even if they are ideally healthy.
- Many professions like ballet and modelling are demanding lean bodies to promote thinness and weight loss.
- Family and childhood traumas: childhood sexual abuse, severe trauma
- Peer pressure among friends and co-workers to be thin or be sexy.
Examples of biological factors include:
- Irregular hormone functions
Anorexia Signs & Symptoms
A person who is suffering from anorexia can be revealed by one or many of these symptoms here.
- Not eating normally, means eating lower than the standard diet.
- Losing weight rapidly and soon become underweight and emaciated
- Staying away with fat and calories during eating.
- Not eating in a normal way, putting food in secret spots and hiding the food.
- Always eating same food without chanaging, eating very less and staying away from all.
- Amenorrhea: an abnormal absence of menstruation, or loss of 3 consecutive menstrual cycles
- Depression or lethargic stage
- Development of lanugo: soft, fine hair that grows on face and body
- Reported sensation of feeling cold, particularly in extremities
- Loss or thinning of hair
- Avoidance of social functions, family, and friends. May become isolated and withdrawn
Home Remedies of Anorexia Nervosa
Home remedies for anorexia are replacing current diet with apple, ginger, orange juice, lemon, garlic, grapes, warm water, and mint. It is an eating disorder which causes weight loss. Those who are suffering from this struggles to maintain proper weight according to their age and height.
Anorexia levels down body health at a very fast pace. There is a way to detect someone by just looking at him. As this eating disorder can be seen in anyone regardless of age, gender and ethnicity.
If someone has any of these symptoms, then he must visit a doctor. Person needs Psychosocial support and participation in counseling more than medicine to cure the anorexia nervosa.
Home remedies are very useful for people who are suffering from anorexia with these techniques.
Home Remedies for Anorexia
Anorexia is treated with home remedies and few psychological medication, by which it can be cured. Some home remedies are given as.
Eating an apple helps create more enzymes for digestion. Pepsin in an enzyme which helps in better digestion.
Ginger is good to enhance hunger feelings, it makes you eat more and helps to maintain appetite. With rock salt everyday, it helps in upset stomach and in stimulating the appetite.
Orange Juice is good for many stomach problems. You can eat more if you drink orange juice for the same. It helps in providing vitamin C and reduces oxidative stress in the body.
Lemon is a cleanser for the digestive system. A lemon squeezed in a glass full of lukewarm water with a pinch of salt is very helpful when you wake up in the morning. You can add ginger in it for better results. Lemon is helpful in cleaning the digestion and improving the physique.
Two or four garlic in a day is good for cleaning digestive organs and increasing hunger. Garlic can be consumed in many forms i.e. raw garlic, crushed garlic or in a soup. Garlic helps in digestion juice secretion in the stomach.
Sour Grapes juice is used for two reasons, which is improving appetite and boosting digestive health. Doing this for more than three weeks can show effective results in hunger.
Water is a very simple way to create a balance in your body. If you digestive system is not clean, then you won’t feel hungry and the anorexia won’t get better. Few glass of water can be good for your digestion.
Mint is a natural appetizer which must be taken 2 spoons daily in the morning. It will help you to eat properly. After you stay consistent with mint, you can see change in your eating pattern. You will feel more in eating better.
It is an old remedy for increasing hunger. A pinch of asafetida with a spoon of ghee can be very useful to cure eating disorders.
Pineapple is good to eat for breakfast. If you do this daily, then also your hunger feeling will be better than before and you can feel better for your platter.